Application for Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN)

Your Email Address:

Please choose the type of business you are applying for:

Includes S corporations, personal service corporations, real estate investment trusts (REIT), regulated investment conduits (RIC), and settlement funds.

 Limited Liabilty Company (LLC)
A limited liability company (LLC) is a structure allowed by state statute and is formed by filing articles of organization with the state.

Tell us more about the members of the Limited Liability Company (LLC).
* Required fields

How many member(s) are in the LLC?*

Please select the state/territory where the business is physically located:*

You have chosen Corporations.
Read the descriptions below and choose the type for which you are applying.

A corporation is a person or group of people who establish a legal entity by filing articles of incorporation with the state's secretary of state granting it certain legal powers, rights, privileges, and liabilities.

 S Corporation
The income of an S corporation generally is taxed to the shareholders of the corporation rather than to the corporation itself. However, an S corporation may still owe tax on certain income.

 Personal Service Corporation
A personal service corporation involves services in the fields of health, law, engineering, architecture, accounting, actuarial science, performing arts, or consulting.

 Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT)
Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT)
A REIT is an investment vehicle established for the benefit of a group of real estate investors.

 Regulated Investment Conduit (RIC)
A RIC is a regulated investment company that applies to any domestic corporation that meets certain criteria.

Choose one reason that best describes why you are applying for an EIN.

 Started a new business
Select this option if you are beginning a new business.

 Hired employee(s)
Select this option if you already have a business and need to hire employees.

 Banking purposes
Select this option if the reason for applying for the EIN is strictly to satisfy banking requirements or local law.

 Changed type of organization
Select this option if you are changing the type of organization you currently operate, such as changing from a sole proprietor to a partnership, changing from a partnership to a corporation, etc.

 Purchased active business
Select this option if you are purchasing a business that is already in operation.

The responsible party of the LLC can be either an individual OR an existing business.

Responsible party means:
a person who has a level of control over, or entitlement to, the funds or assets in the entity that, as a practical matter, enables the individual, directly or indirectly, to control, manage or direct the entity and the disposition of its funds and assets. The ability to fund the entity or the entitlement to the property of the entity alone, however, without any corresponding authority to control, manage or direct the entity (such as in the case of a minor child beneficiary), does not cause the individual to be a responsible party.

Please choose one:
 Existing business

First Name*

Middle Initial

Last Name*

Suffix (Jr, Sr, etc.)


Existing Business:

Business Name*


Choose One:*

 Corporate Officer
I am the president, CEO, or other corporate officer who can legally bind the corporation, or the member, manager or managing member of the LLC.

 Third Party
I am a third party applying for an EIN on behalf of this corporation.

Choose One:*

 Owner, Member or Officer
I am one of the owners, members, officers or the managing member of this LLC, or the CEO, or other corporate officer of the corporation who can legally bind the corporation.

 Third Party
I am a third party applying for an EIN on behalf of this LLC.

Third Party Designee (TPD) Information

Third Party Designee (TPD) authorization is obtained when a taxpayer completes and signs a completed Form SS-4 (Application for Employer Identification Number), including the TPD section, naming you as a designated person to receive the EIN on his/her behalf.

Are you a third party designee?
 yes no

Address of the Company:
The only special characters allowed for street and city are - and /.
Note: Must be a U.S. address. Do not enter a P.O. box.



State/U.S. territory*

ZIP code*

Phone number*

Do you have an address different from the above where you want your mail to be sent?*
 yes no

Company name (must match Certificate of incorporation or formation, if filed)*

Trade name/Doing business as
(only if different from legal name)

County where Company is located*

State/Territory where Company is located*

State/Territory where articles of organization
are (or will be) filed*State/Territory where articles are (or will be) filed

Company start date*

Tell us more about the LLC.
* Required fields

Does your business own a highway motor vehicle with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more?*
 yes no

Does your business involve gambling/wagering?*
 yes no

Does your business need to file Form 720
(Quarterly Federal Excise Tax Return)?*
 yes no

Does your business sell or manufacture alcohol, tobacco, or firearms?*
 yes no

Do you have, or do you expect to have, any employees who will receive Forms W-2 in the next 12 months?*
(Forms W-2 require additional filings with the IRS.)
 yes no

What does your business or organization do?
Choose one category that best describes your business. Click the underlined links for additional examples for each category.

Casino hotel, hotel, or motel.

Building houses/residential structures, building industrial/commercial structures, specialty trade contractors, remodelers, heavy construction contractors, land subdivision contractors, or site preparation contractors.

Banks, sales financing, credit card issuing, mortgage company/broker, securities broker, investment advice, or trust administration.

Retail fast food, restaurant, bar, coffee shop, catering, or mobile food service.

Doctor, mental health specialist, hospital, or outpatient care center.

Insurance company or broker.

Mechanical, physical, or chemical transformation of materials/substances/components into new products, including the assembly of components.

Renting or leasing real estate, managing real estate, real estate agent/broker, selling, buying, or renting real estate for others.

Rent/lease automobiles, consumer goods, commercial goods, or industrial goods.

Retail store, internet sales (exclusively), direct sales (catalogue, mail-order, door to door), auction house, or selling goods on auction sites.

Youth services, residential care facility, services for the disabled, or community food/housing/ relief services.

Air transportation, rail transportation, water transportation, trucking, passenger transportation, support activity for transportation, or delivery/courier service.

Operating warehousing or storage facilities for general merchandise, refrigerated goods, or other warehouse products; establishments that provide facilities to store goods but do not sell the goods they handle

Wholesale agent/broker, importer, exporter, manufacturers’ representative, merchant, distributor, or jobber.

If you choose “Other” Please choose one of the following that best describes your primary business activity:



Organization (such as religious, environmental, social or civic, athletic, etc.)



 Sell goods


Please specify your primary business activity:

What is the primary business/service you provide?